About Us

The philanthropic spirit of Edwardian Britain was on show in the library of Sedbergh School on a cold afternoon of December 5th 1905. School governors and staff were keen to contribute to relieving the distress in the Industrial North of England, but where to give this help?

The Bishop of Ripon, with the support of Sir Francis Sharpe-Powell who himself was a Bradfordian suggested placing the Boys mission in Bradford. The motion was passed and Sir Francis was charged with finding appropriate accommodation and more importantly the right man to run the mission. Rooms above a bakers shop in Norton Gate, Little Horton was the first home of Sedbergh School Bradford Boys Club, and with the recommendation of the Vicar of All Saints Church the Rev Briggs, a Mr. William Westman of Horrock’s was approached to become the first Superintendent of the mission. Having acquired both premises and superintendent, the official opening was carried out in June 1906 by Sir Francis.

Since that beginning the Sedbergh Club has outgrown each of its three homes and the present purpose built Club was built in 1963 and opened by the Princess Royal on 28th October 1963.

Today the Club on Huddersfield Road is a focal point for the entire community running sports and recreational activities as well as a comprehensive support network offering advice, information and guidance.princessroyal